LET’S END THE PLASTIC PANDEMIC
The plastic pandemic is here and destroying our oceans. 1 million plastic bottles and 2 million plastic bags are bought around the world… every single minute. These are used for an average of 12 minutes. Yep, that’s right — they’re used for an average of 12 minutes and then take up to a thousand years to decompose. It is now thought that adults consume around 50,000 microplastic particles a year and by 2050 there is expected to be more plastic than fish in our oceans.
While increasing numbers of organisations and countries are banning plastic use and production, we can still help and do our bit.
We know it can be overwhelming to know where to start when it comes to reducing plastic in your life, so we’ve put together 5 simple tips that you can try today:
- Think before you buy. Do I really need to buy this fruit or veg wrapped in plastic or is there a loose option instead? Buying loose will encourage supermarkets to useless packaging so vote with your money.
- Invest in a stylish bag for life that you can carry around with you for all types of shopping. An unexpected shop can quickly result in you needing a plastic bag so keep this with you wherever you go.
- Refuse plastic cutlery, straws and bags e.g. when ordering a takeaway, tell them you don’t need a plastic fork or bag. Lead by example and maybe they will follow!
- Buy a reusable water bottle and coffee cup to avoid plastic bottles and lids. Plus metal bottles can keep your water cool all day, and look super funky.
- Use a fibre filter bag to catch any microplastics from your washing to ensure they do not end up in the water systems and ocean.
- Buy cans or glass bottles rather than plastic, like Cannabrew! Aluminium cans are infinitely recyclable and the process of recycling them is much simpler than plastic, Plus all of our Cans are wrapped in a bio degradable label made out of corn starch.
There are SO many adjustments we can all make in order to help cut down our use of plastic, especially single-use plastic. Start this week by making just one of these changes and see how much plastic you save over time. Trust us, it will make a huge difference.
Sustainability is important us, so we use recycling and recycled products throughout our business. For every single case of CBD infused beer, we sell, we plant a tree in the amazon Rain Forrest. We even use recycling projects by local farmers to reduce food waste, so we donate the used grains and hops to farmers to feed their animals and fertilise their fields (naturally – and that’s no BS!). Additionally, all our packaging is completely recyclable. Join our journey at #MakeTheEarthGreener – post your favourite personal shots with a tree somewhere in the background or like our Facebook page.
Passionately written by Earth Advocate and Cannafam member, Sophie Labat.